Voluntary Exclusion Program
Frequently Asked Questions

Update on rule changes

The Disassociated Persons rule changes are now in effect.  You may petition the Commission to remove your name from the List by mailing the Request for Removal form.

[ Top of the Page ]

What is the List of Disassociated Persons?

The List of Disassociated Persons (also referred to as "the List") is Missouri's voluntary self-exclusion program and was designed in 1996 as a recovery tool that could be used by compulsive gamblers in their overall recovery program. The first statewide self-exclusion program in the nation, this program provides a way for recovering problem gamblers to acknowledge and take responsibility for their problem, and to take some positive steps in managing their gambling problem. The List consists of those persons who have voluntarily declared that they desire to self-exclude from ALL licensed casinos in the State of Missouri because they are problem gamblers.

[ Top of the Page ]

What is the difference between the List and the "Exclusion List"?

It is important to understand that the Missouri Gaming Commission maintains two very different lists that pertain to the exclusion of individuals from casinos in the State of Missouri. The List of Disassociated Persons (also referred to as "the List") is Missouri's voluntary self-exclusion program available for problem or compulsive gamblers to use as a tool in their overall recovery program. Before the Missouri Gaming Commission developed the statewide voluntary self-exclusion program for problem gamblers, it already maintained a much smaller involuntary "Exclusion List", which contains the names of persons who have been excluded by the Commission from casinos in Missouri in order to protect the integrity of gaming in Missouri. The Commission's power to exclude persons from our licensed casinos emanates from the Missouri Gaming Statute, and more specifically the Code of State Regulations (particularly 11 CSR 45-15)

  1. Under these provisions, the Commission has the power to exclude persons who have committed crimes of moral turpitude or gambling-related crimes, as well as persons of unsavory reputation or persons on a valid and current exclusion list from another jurisdiction in the United States.
  2. The involuntary Exclusion List (also known as the List of Excluded Persons) is available on our website and can be accessed by the general public and by gaming regulatory agencies in other jurisdictions here.

[ Top of the Page ]

Where can I sign up?

If you want to participate in this voluntary program, you will need to complete an application for placement on the List and sign it in the presence of a Missouri Gaming Commission agent or staff member.

A Missouri Gaming Commission office is located at each licensed Missouri casino property and applications for placement on the List can be processed at these offices during the hours of casino operation. Individuals who intend to sign the application at one of the casino locations should request assistance from the first casino employee they encounter, with the request to contact the Gaming Agent on-duty.

The Missouri Gaming Commission also has three regional administrative offices, which are located in Jefferson City, Kansas City, and St. Louis. Applications for placement on the List can be processed at each regional MGC office during the office's standard business hours (Monday – Friday). Individuals who intend to apply at one of the regional offices should call to schedule an appointment – the agents at these offices frequently perform duties outside of the office.

[ Top of the Page ]

What kind of information is on the application?

To view what information will be required to complete the application process, please review the Application for Placement on the List of Disassociated Persons. If an interpreter is required, the interpreter form must be completed and included with your application.

The Application and interpreter form must be opened with Acrobat Reader. If you don't have this program, download it here.

[ Top of the Page ]

I have a friend or family member who has a gambling problem – can I place him/her on the List?

A person may not place another person on the self-exclusion list. This is a voluntary program for the problem gambler to use in his/her personal recovery program. The decision of whether or not to place his/her name on the self-exclusion list belongs to that individual, and may be a pivotal element in their recovery process. A recent study reports many of the benefits experienced by self-exclusion program participants may be more related to the individual's decision to self-exclude and to the act of enrollment in the program than to the restricted access to gambling venues of the program itself.

The casinos are only one of many forms of gambling activity available to a problem gambler. Addressing a gambling problem isn't just about the gambling – it is about taking control of your life, accepting responsibility for your actions (and the consequences of those actions), identifying (and managing) triggers, building a personal recovery plan/program, and working that recovery program.

[ Top of the Page ]

Can I still work at a Missouri casino if I place myself on the List?

Casino employees, and other individuals on the List may access a Missouri casino to perform duties of their job. They must first notify the Missouri Gaming Commission office of the nature of their duties. Self-excluded individuals are not allowed to engage in gaming activities while in a gaming facility to perform their duties of employment.

[ Top of the Page ]

Who can access information on the List?

Only those individuals responsible for enforcing the program have access to the information on the List.

[ Top of the Page ]

Will my name be released to the public?

Your name and information contained in the application are exempt from public disclosure, and are not open for public inspection. It cannot be released to your spouse, relative, employer, etc. without your permission. However, we will be under an obligation to release your name and information if ordered by a court or directed to do so by the Missouri Attorney General.

If you choose to violate your pledge and are identified on a Missouri casino, you will be arrested for criminal trespass. Arrest warrants are public information; therefore the reason identified on your warrant for your arrest will be available to the public.

[ Top of the Page ]

What happens after I submit my application to the Missouri Gaming Commission?

Missouri Gaming Commission staff members will review and verify the application. Valid applications are entered into the database and notification is given to the Missouri riverboat casinos. Upon notification of an individual's placement on the List, Missouri casino operators are required to remove the individual from their direct marketing lists, invalidate his/her player's club account and deny check-cashing privileges.

[ Top of the Page ]

What happens if I violate my pledge not to visit a Missouri Casino?

If you have voluntarily placed your name on the List of Disassociated Persons and you are observed on the premises of a Missouri casino, you will be charged with criminal trespassing, a class B misdemeanor, and will be immediately removed from the casino premises.

Additionally, all chips, tokens and electronic credits in your possession at the time of discovery are subject to forfeiture.

[ Top of the Page ]

If I place my name on the List, does this exclude me from casinos in other states or Native American casinos?

The Missouri Gaming Commission sets standards for the conduct of casinos within the State of Missouri, but the Commission does not have jurisdiction to affect the business decisions of casinos that operate outside of Missouri.

[ Top of the Page ]

How do I obtain help and resources?

If you are concerned your gambling activity or the gambling activity of a loved one is causing problem(s) in your life, but you are not sure about the next step, consider the following options:

Missouri's problem gambling help line is available 24 hours a day.  You may reach a help line counselor by calling
1-888-BETS-OFF (1-888-238-7633) or by email.

Visit BETSOFF to locate a certified compulsive gambling counselor.  This service is free for problem gamblers and their loved ones.

[ Top of the Page ]

Can I get off the List if I change my mind later?

After 5 years, the participant may formally request removal from the List of Disassociated Persons by completing the Request for Removal form. Removal from the List is not effective until written notification of removal is received, which may take 90 days or more to process.

[ Top of the Page ]

How do I let you know my information has changed?

If the information you provided on the application changes, please fill out the Change of Information form within 30 days of the change. Once completed, the form may be mailed or faxed back to us. Our mailing and fax information can be found in the instructions section of the form.

[ Top of the Page ]